I thought I’d better put the date in the tag line, because these days are all starting to run together for us. Mike will not be at all impressed with what I call each post, but he’s the creative one, not me.
It has been a very busy morning! When I walked in at 7:45, Mike informed me that as usual, he had not slept. However, his night nurse had spent time working with him and discovered that when his right leg is bent, he is able to have good resistance against a hand on his foot.
During breakfast, the infectious disease doctor showed up. I get the feeling that they are very bothered by not knowing where exactly this infection entered Mike’s body. His temperature is down and he’s improving, which is the important part from the surgeons’ perspective.
We started to watch a John Piper sermon on the computer, only to be interrupted by physical therapy (PT). Mike never turns down therapy, so we put the sermon on hold! He is actually starting to get some slight movement in both his hand and leg. I want to emphasize that this is slight and is not an indication of what the final outcome will be. We were both very happy about it though!
Immediately after PT left, they started getting Mike ready to transfer him to the regular neuro floor. This makes both of us little nervous, but the nurses have been made aware of the problems last time we were here and I feel good that it won’t happen again.
Dr. Fogleson stopped in after the transfer to let us know that the latest round of blood cultures did not grow the bacteria after 48 hours. This means Mike can get the permanent IV in and not have to get new ones every 3 days. That will be a relief! They will also be able to do blood draws out of this line, so the end of being poked is in sight.
The doctor also said that the bacteria is responding to this antibiotic, so unless something changes, we will stick with this. The plan now is to keep Mike on this for 2 weeks and then stop and see what happens.
That part is a bit worrisome to Mike. The worst case scenario is that the infection returns. If that happens, they will assume it is in the brain and reopen the site and clean it out. Both surgeons feel quite confident that they won’t have to do this, but it is a possibility. I am thankful that we have chosen to have rehab at Mayo so that the doctors can follow him. Please be praying that the antibiotics will work and that will be the end of the infection.
On the home front, my sister is coming to spend another week with the kids. I think that my parents are most happy about this! Gabbie is doing better and no one else has vomited, so maybe they dodged that bullet. Jared had a slight temp last night, so I am guessing Kara will get the pleasure of taking him to the doctor tomorrow to see if he has an ear infection. I am very grateful to all the people who have helped out with the kids!
The song that has been going through my head today is, “You (God) are always good and loving, merciful in all your dealings.” I have been trying to focus on how God has been good and loving and merciful through this trial. We’ve probably said these things before, but they bear repeating.
We found the AVM after a seizure, not a hemorrhage that could have led to Mike’s death. We live close to Mayo Clinic, which is one of the few places in the country that it could have been treated. We switched insurance last March. Our previous insurance would not have covered treatment at Mayo Clinic. Our insurance will cover rehab here as well, for more days than most insurance companies will. We have many friends and family members who have helped us and walked through the whole ordeal with us. Mike is in great shape physically, which will make rehab go much better. Our kids have held up amazingly well, even with Mom and Dad gone for two weeks now, and more time to come.
As you can see, God has been good and loving and merciful to us. I wait to see what more He does!