Greetings one and all who have found their way to this site! This is the fifth such top ten list I have made beginning in 2008. This was the year that life in the Evans household changed for good…both in the sense of duration as well as in other ways that are not so obvious at first glance, or perhaps even a long, protracted look.
This was the year that I found out I had an oddity in my brain, likely since birth called an arteriovenous malformation (AVM). It was the size of a peach and was located in the left frontal lobe of my brain. It was discovered after having a seizure on Jared’s 3rd birthday, October 23, 2008. I had surgery at Mayo Clinic hospitals in February, 2009 where surgeons successfully removed it, and unlike some tumors, it cannot grow back.
I awoke the next morning unable to move the entire right side of my body, as if I were split right down the center of my body. I was also unable to speak. Gradually, both of these functions returned through the grace of God in response to the prayers of thousands, and sheer determination.
The surgery was followed by massive complications, blood infection, multiple pulmonary embolisms, coding, emergency open heart surgery to remove the blood clots from my heart and lungs…and then rehab. By the time I finally made it to rehab I had lost nearly 40 pounds of muscle mass. We were in Rochester for 46 days. There is basically no chance that I should have survived this ordeal. But I did and here I am almost four years later writing another posting for Thanksgiving 2012.
Top Ten Things I am thankful for this year in ascending order:
10. That Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson’s ACL injury is as if it never happened as he is tearing it up this year in yardage!
9. Krispy Kreme Donuts
8. A loving church family who has put up with me for seventeen years at the end of this November.
7. Karla: You are the love of my life and dearer to me now than you were even four years ago when we entered the arena of the unknown. I mention you further up the list as well, but this year you deserve two mentions on this hallowed list.
6. The intoxicating aroma of home-made pizza and breadsticks!
5. The Incommunicable attributes of God (ways that we are unlike God) unchangeableness, omnipresence, eternal self-existence
3. The privilege of continuing to see and experience all of life with a heightened sense of my own mortality…and four years out some of my permanent limitations.
2. My family: Karla, Luke, Benj, Elisabeth, Gabbie, and Jared each of whom I love dearly!
1. The knowledge of the certainty of a future inheritance of a Kingdom that cannot be shaken. “Therefore, let us be thankful and worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire” Hebrews Ch. 12.
Happy Thanksgiving Friends!