Happy Thanksgiving everyone! This is the sixth year in a row that I have written a top ten list of things for which I am most thankful.
Here is this year’s updated list. If you are interested in seeing why I began doing this in 2008 there was good cause to do so, with the anomaly that was in my brain [ here’s why from Feb. 2010 ] for no matter how grim things may appear to look at any finite snapshot in time, there is always cause for Thanksgiving…always.
Gratitude is an attitude or overriding disposition toward all things that infallibly reveals its truest source in our response to everything that comes our way. Having said that here is my list for 2013!
10. Hickory Park Barbecue in Ames…perennial favorite!
9. Duck Dynasty…reminds me of The Walton’s only on steroids.
8.Minnesota Vikings Football Dynasty (lifelong wish list for 2014 and beyond…We need Fran Tarkenton at QB).
7. Being able to revel in the stunning beauty of the High Sierra mountains in Southern California in September on a challenging 65 mile backpacking trip with three other men that culminated with the summit of Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48.
Mt. Whitney summit!
6. Kindness and kindhearted people.
5. The simple things in life like going on a stroll with my wife, taking a photo of a scenic view, having a family meal together, sitting on the front porch swing on a warm summer evening sipping iced tea, or shooting baskets with the kids in the driveway.
4. A general state of wellness of body, mind and soul.
3. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in God.
2. My wife Karla and our five children and extended family who love me and whom I also love deeply.
1. Jesus (name) the Christ (title) who is the same yesterday, today and forever. The one of whom the Prophet Isaiah spoke in Isaiah 61:1-4 (and owned by Jesus in Luke 4:18-19) “The Spirit of the LORD GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor, he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor, and the day of vengeance for our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion–to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified.”
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
November 28, 2013