As I have done for each of the past two Thanksgivings so I continue this year, in 2010, in coming up with my personal top ten list of things for which I am thankful.
I hereby declare my thanks for the following (in ascending order):
10. That the Minnesota Vikings finally fired Head Coach Brad Childress. (now if only Favre would return the Favor…) Note to naysayers: I am a lifelong Vikings fan.
9. Yesterday, Today…and Tomorrow if it comes (see James 4:13-17).
8. The continual privilege of seeing all of life through the lens of a heightened sense of my own mortality that only a close brush with death could bring.
7. The Crossroad Church Family and all of my genuine brothers and sisters in Christ throughout the world.
6. The ability to speak and move limbs at will and build stuff again.
5. Karla’s (my wife) homemade breadsticks hot out of the oven with fresh grated Parmesan Cheese and tomato sauce and a Dr. Pepper …to die for! I have a thing about doctors.
4. The intricacies of the human brain designed by the inscrutable Creator God…the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
3. The Privilege, Blessing, and Responsibility of Life itself! (In Acts 5:20 when the Apostles Peter and John were imprisoned for preaching the Gospel of Christ an angel of the Lord came to the prison during the night and did three things: 1. Opened the prison doors. 2. Brought them out. 3. Told them precisely what they were to do: Go and Stand in the temple and teach the people “all the words of this Life.” This word Life here encompasses all that surrounds the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus). May God grant us all a proper perspective of our own mortality (life) and also of the immortality of the most important message of this Life.
2. My wife and five children: Karla, Luke, Benjamin, Elisabeth, Gabriella, and Jared.
1. God Himself and the guarantee of a future inheritance of the Kingdom of God which cannot be shaken and where all things will be made new (Hebrews 12:28-29).
Happy Thanksgiving everyone out there in the blogosphere!